I have noticed that not only have I been receiving spam in my email, but also on WhatsApp and my phone. I hate spam as much as I hate telemarketers. Yet, friends, family and acquaintances continue to send the damn stuff.
When I receive spam from you, this is my reaction:
I am done with people whose only email contact with me is the latest chain mail or hoax going around.
I am done with clearing my inbox of all the game invitations and twinkly sparkly 'angels are surrounding you' crap.
Don't EVER send me:
* Stupid chain letters promising me miracles/money/hugs/whatever other crap that will come to me if I send this on to at least 20 of my friends.
* Warnings that the Sandton SPCA is closing down/gangs are waiting to follow me home and kill me/sick little girl stories/free Blackberry if you email this person. These are hoaxes. Before clicking forward and send, why not check these things out on Snopes, Hoax Buster or Hoax Slayer?
* Twinkly, sparkly 'the angels love you today' bullshit. No fairy crap either
* Any "I have forwarded this to you, my friend, because you are my best friend and I love and send this on to your friends and if you send it back to me I will know you are my true friend". My friends know who they are - and they don't like spam shit either.
* Pictures of half-clad men - I am a lesbian for goodness' sake! WTF would I want to see a half naked man for?
* Jokes about how stupid women are. See the note above - lesbian AND a feminist
* Prayer chains
* Invitations to any games ending with -ville. Or any games at all.
Please also note that from now on, when I receive 'inspirational' messages that focus on the particular religion practiced by the sender, I will be responding with an inspirational message of my own from a random, obscure religion. If you're going to push your religion on me, I will be pushing back.
If you have my email address, you have it because I trust you enough to have it. Forward me the stuff you know I find fascinating and interesting. If you know me at all, you will know I can't stand the crap that some people send.