Thursday, May 16, 2013

Song.

Five Minute Friday - go over to Lisa-Jo Baker's blog and check out this week's prompt. Write for 5 minutes - only. Free form. Stream of consciousness. Whatever comes. Leave a comment so I can go read yours.

I've heard the term "soul song" before. It's a vibration, a rhythm, a melody that is uniquely yours as you move through the world. The universe is vibration and frequency and we, as beings living in this universe, are vibration and frequency.

There is something wonderful about singing your own life into being. The Australian aborigines believe that a supernatural being sang the world into being, singing the names of all the rocks, plants, animals - everything in the world. When most people think of sacred song, they think of Christian hymns and choirs in cathedrals.

I prefer the notion of someone singing a song and out pops planet earth and everything on it. It appeals to me. And I think that we can do the same.

I did six years of classical vocal training privately and part time. I understand the power of the voice, the power of a song and how music, words, melodies, chants and mantras have the power of creation. Recently, I spent some time with a friend recording mantras and it was a beautiful, deeply sacred thing.

Sacred songs are not just available in churches and temples. Sacred songs live in our souls. We just don't realise we have the ability to sing.

5 comments:

  1. i'd heard about something like this recently... wish i could remember when/where.

    i love this idea... that sacred songs live in our souls - i guess i'd add that only God gives us the voice to sing/the instrument to play them because they ultimately come from Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Buddhist with a slight esoteric tangent, I believe that we choose our own songs before coming to this life and that we can choose to sing it or not. Those songs are carried with us and then modified once we return to the great cosmic ocean to await reincarnation.

      Delete
  2. I agree that music is such a powerful force in our lives...I've found it to be one of the constants no matter what is swirling around me. I know we have different thoughts on where these songs come from, but I appreciate your perspective and insight. Thanks for sharing this today! P.S. I've wanted to take vocal lessons for years, but each year, I tell myself I'm too old for it now. I guess I'm not getting any younger. ;) Maybe someday soon. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, you're never too old. There is a story of a 72 year old lady who became an opera singer. If she can, you can.

      Delete
  3. Honoring the song in your soul & mine!

    ReplyDelete